So yes last week was a bit hectic as I got used to my new schedule and so I missed doing Week 3's school lunches!! But now I am back up and running properly so today I will share with you my menu for the week :)
This week we had:
Monday: Apple - Cinnamon/Choc Brownie - Yoghurt - Capsicum and Corn Tartlets
Tuesday: Nectarine - Brownie - Chips - Capsicum and Corn Tartlets
Wednesday: Apple - Jelly and Pudding - Veg Sticks - Pizza Scrolls
Thursday: Watermelon - Chips - Yoghurt - Ham and salad rolls
Friday: Watermelon - Jelly - Chips - Ham and Salad Roll
We did have a problem this week as I was super excited to try out these Cinnamon and Chocolate Brownies but they had nuts in them! As my youngest doesn't have anyone in his class that is allergic to nuts he was ok but my daughter who is in High School has a best friend who is allergic so she asked not to have them. If you do make these it is probably best as an after school snack and not as a lunch box treat. They are super delicious so you must try them :)
And this week I will share with you the recipe for the Brownies as well as the recipe for the Capsicum and Corn Tartlets:
Cinnamon and Chocolate Brownies
115g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
200g butter, plus extra for greasing
85g pecan nut halves
250g caster sugar
4 eggs, beaten
225g plain flour
2tsp ground cinnamon
55g white chocolate, broken into pieces
115g icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease a 23cm/9in shallow square cake tin.
2. Melt plain chocolate and 175g of the butter in a heatproof bowl, set over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
3.Set 16 pecan halves to one side for decoration and chop the rest. Beat together the caster sugar and eggs with a whsk until thick and creamy. Then fold in the choc mixture, flour, cinnamon and chopped pecans.
4. Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 35 - 40 minutes, or until firm to touch. Leave to cool in the tin.
5. Melt remaining butter and white chocolate in a heatproof bowl, set over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Remove from the heat and beat in the milk and icing sugar. Spread this mixture over the cool brownies. Allow to set for 30minutes then cut into 16 squares and top each with a pecan half.
Capsicum and Corn Tartlets
3 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
310g frozen corn kernels
150g cheddar cheese grated
1 small red capsicum finely chopped
2 eggs lightly beaten
170ml thick cream
1 tsp dijon mustard
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Lightly grease three 12 hole round based patty pans or mini muffin tins.
2. Using a 6cm round cutter, cut circles from pastry sheets. Press circles into prepared tins and prick with a fork.
3. Combine corn, cheese and capsicum in a large bowl and season. Whisk the eggs, buttermilk, cream and mustard in a measuring cup with a pouring lip.
4. Spoon the veg mixture into pastry cases and then top with egg mixture until cases are almost full.
5. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until well risen and set. Serve cold.